Why You Should Choose A Pediatric Dentist For Your Child’s Dental Care
Choosing a dentist for your child is a big decision as, ideally, your child’s dentist will be with them during the long journey from baby teeth to adult teeth. Your child needs quality dental care from a young age to ensure that their teeth are growing in (and falling out) properly and that their oral health is being cared for.
While a regular dentist can see your child, a pediatric dentist has many advantages. Let’s go over some of the benefits of choosing a pediatric dentist and the reasons your child will be better off during their formative years going with a dentist that not only specializes in their teeth, but also their overall health as well.
What exactly is a pediatric dentist?
Pediatric dentists are a specialized type of dentist that dedicate their careers to the oral health of children and teens, as they go through many cycles of growth and change. Pediatric dentists are specifically dedicated to the young person’s oral health and have special knowledge and expertise when it comes to the unique challenges of tooth eruption, orthodontic changes, and preventative measures against dental problems.
Advantages Of A Pediatric Dentist
1. Extra Education. Pediatric dentists require an extra two years of education after the standard 4 years of dental school required to become experts on child development and are trained to handle toddlers, children and teens. This specialized training teaches them about the growth of young jaws and teeth and issues that can arise therein. A pediatric dentist has a better grasp on a child’s oral health as they have extra training and that directly prepares them for their future working with children. Parents can rest easy knowing their child’s pediatric dentist is always looking out for their best interest.
2. Child-Friendly. The office and overall feel of a pediatric dentist’s space are meant to keep children happy, occupied, and calm during their appointment. A lot of people, including children, get nervous or fearful when going to the dentist, but a pediatric dental clinic will have a playful, fun environment with toys, books, and magazines for them to play with and read. Small, personal touches like this embody what a pediatric dentist is all about; making your child comfortable and happy during their visit, while also making sure any special needs or issues are also cared for with empathy and understanding. An enjoyable office makes for a better visit for parents and children alike.
3. Behavioral Issue Recognition. Pediatric dentists are well-versed in understanding, recognizing and breaking bad or problematic behaviors that could be disruptive to the child’s oral health. Many children suck their thumbs or grind their teeth: these habits can lead to many issues down the road. Pediatric dentists are very knowledgeable in child development and know how to compassionately address these problems so that your child doesn’t feel attacked or judged.
4. Eye For Issues. Pediatric dentists can catch any orthodontic issues early by doing assessments and treatments for teeth straightening and improper bite. An early evaluation with a pediatric dentist can reveal potential issues before they become expensive and painful problems. This early detection can reduce the need for more orthodontic work in the future as they grow as well.
5. Diagnose And Distinguish. Not only do they repair cavities or defects in teeth, but a pediatric dentist can also diagnose other diseases that show up in a child’s oral health exams, such as ADHD, asthma, diabetes, hay fever and congenital heart defects. They also do infant oral health exams that include risk assessment for caries (bacteria that can turn into cavities) in the mother and child. They can also help manage gum disease and other conditions that children can have at an early age.
6. Great With Kids. They choose to work with kids and have great rapport with them. While some dentists can be a little dry or callous from working with adults all day, pediatric dentists are very aware of how children react to dental work and act accordingly to make the visit as pleasant as possible. Their additional training and knowledge is put to good use every day working with all types of children of all ages for the betterment of their oral health.
Need An Exceptional Pediatric Dentist?
At Chillicothe Pediatric Dentistry, we take pride in creating and maintaining beautiful and healthy smiles for our younger patients with an environment that is enjoyable and fun. We focus on establishing oral health habits that last a lifetime, with education and prevention as our primary tools.
We offer many services and options no matter what your child’s oral health care needs are. Your child’s comfort and wellness are top priority. Give us a call today to set up an appointment for your child and see the difference that a great pediatric dentist can make.
buy cialis online prescription
Thank you for pointing out that pediatric dentists are very good at keeping children calm. My son is nervous about having his teeth cleaned, so I’m thinking about taking him to a pediatric dentist this month. I’m going to search for a reputable pediatric dentist in the area to use.